Matlab on Your Workstation
Mac OS X
- Download and install Matlab from Distrilog
- Install XCode
- Open a Terminal, type the following command followed by Return:
Ensure that that command completes successfuly. If not, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a screen capture of the result.
Use the ECPS cluster with Matlab
- you need to have password-less shell access going. See the Getting Started guide on the wiki homepage.
- through said shell access, you need to be able to run a simple command, like
salloc echo SUCCESS
This should output
SUCCESS (among other things) to your terminal.
- you want to be familiar with copying files back and forth between your computer and the ECPS cluster
Your First Batch Job
- Browse the directory
/usr/local/matlab/epfl-batch on ECPS, and download the appropriate ZIP file for your Matlab version (for instance
- Unpack that ZIP file somewhere in your Matlab path (for instance on Mac, into
and answer the question regarding your username on ECPS (it's your GASPAR username)
- Create a file parallel_hostnames.m in your PATH (for instance on a Mac, in Documents/MATLAB) with the following contents:
- Type the following commands:
c = parcluster;
j = c.batch('parallel_hostnames', 'Pool', 40, 'CurrentFolder', '.');
- When prompted whether to use an identity file, click Yes
- Now comes the tricky part. The file you want is in the
.ssh subdirectory of your home directory, which is hidden since its name starts with a dot. Press ⌘+⇧+G to open the "go to the folder" prompt, and type
~/.ssh (tilde slash dot ssh) into the dialog.
- Pick the
id_rsa file (this is your private key), and click Open
- You should now be able to see your job in progress. In Matlab's tool ribbon, click → → Monitor Jobs. Be sure that the ECPS remote profile is selected, then click on the button, you should get something like this:
Keep clicking on until the job transitions into "finished" state.
💡If this doesn't work, see the troubleshooting § in the admin guide.
- To get the results of your finished job, right-click on its entry and select Show diary