In order to access the ECPS cluster via a shell interface, use the ssh command in a terminal (both installed by default on Mac OS X).
- Inquire about your GASPAR (EPFL-wide) login name and password (these would be the same as e.g. those that you use for the wi-fi)
💡If you don't know or don't have GASPAR credentials, get in touch with the STI-IT help desk in room ELB132
- Ensure that Prof. Cevher has made you a member of group
ECPS (that group should show up in your list of groups)
- Open the Terminal application on your Mac (for instance, invoke Spotlight by clicking the 🔍 at the top right of your screen, and type Terminal)
- Once the Terminal opens, type
ssh -X firstname.lastname@example.org
(be sure to replace
mygaspar with your GASPAR login name obtained at step 1)
- Type your password when prompted.
- We have now validated that your password is working and that you have access to ECPS. Close the terminal and open a new one; and follow the instructions to set up password-less authentication using a public key.
ssh has a whole bunch of tips and tricks that could make your life easier: for instance you can create a
.ssh/config file so that you can safely forget about the
-X flag (the latter by setting
In order to launch graphical applications (such as Matlab), X11 is also required.
To run an X11 program:
- Access the ECPS front-end node as shown above. Be sure to employ
ssh -X (or have
ForwardX11 set in your
- Run a test X11 program such as
ssh again from there to one of the compute nodes, e.g.
💡Among cluster nodes, plain
ssh works without further configuration (no
-X, login name, or password needed)
- Again, run a test X11 program
I get an annoying message about X11 authentication
If you get this message:
Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
then the recommended solution is to upgrade Xquartz to 2.7.8 (currently a release candidate version, but it works good enough for me - Dominique, 20150626)
After a couple of minutes of keeping my ssh connection open, I cannot run X11 clients anymore
You need to increase the value of
ForwardX11Timeout in your
.ssh/config , e.g. like this:
(see also: diagnosis)