Hydrologic regimes / monthly river flows
Switzerland shows different climate regimes and a high number of hydrological regimes. The hydrologic regimes are described in the hydrological atlas.
- A vector data set on the distribution of hydrological regimes and catchment subdivision is available here upon request.
- A directly downloadable version (with less data tables) is available here (in French)
- A description (in french only) of how to obtain these regimes were obtained via discharge classification is given here, including a detailed scheme (organigramme).
- The underlying raster data set of simulated mean monthly discharges is available here.
NEW 2: A new raster data set (state-of-the-art) on monthly flows (same format as above) can be obtained from the WSL (contact person: Massimiliano Zappa). Information on the data set (in German), here.
Important: the above data sets come with some explanation, partly not in English. At the best of my understanding
- The raster data set contains monthly discharges for entire Switzerland, obtained from PREVAH simulations and some adjustment to observed data (optimized data set)
- A corresponding vector (catchment) data set can be obtained by connecting the vector set tables "abfluesse" (discharges) to "basisgeometrie" (containing the catchments) via the attribute TEILEZGNR, can be used to generate maps with regime types
- However: the above two sets should probably not be used to generate some average discharge for large catchments since their discharge is usually influenced by water resources management; use observed data instead
- The vector data set contains a EZGG_MQ data set with the river network and the corresponding hydrological regime for catchments up to 500 km2.
I am not aware of a good resource on the climatic regimes in Switzerland. The terminology and climate division that is used by the Swiss Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research SLF is explained here,