Simple totally disconnected groups
Structure of simple totally disconnected groups
Working seminar of the chair EGG
« [...] it seems that all the problems concerning the structure of locally compact groups have been completely solved. »
Hidehiko Yamabe (1951)
The aim of this working seminar is to get a better understanding of the structure of locally compact groups. The main focus will be on the simple totally disconnected groups, via the recent articles by Caprace, Reid and Willis about the locally normal subgroups of the latter, but it will also be the opportunity to learn some exciting maths related to that topic.
- Monday 17 March 2014, Outline of the seminar (Maxime Gheysens)
- Thursday 3 April 2014, Hilbert's Fifth Problem and its solutions (Thibaut Dumont)
- Monday 14 April 2014, Van Dantzig's theorem and around (Maxime Gheysens)
- Monday 28 April 2014, Locally normal subgroups and the structure lattice (Waltraud Lederle)
- Thursday 8 May 2014, Quasi-centre and quasi-centralisers (Thibault Pillon)
- Monday 19 May 2014, Global and local C-stabilities (Maxime Gheysens)
- Monday 26 May 2014, Local C-stability of St.d. groups I (Waltraud Lederle)
- Thursday 12 June 2014, Local C-stability of St.d. groups II (Peter Schlicht)
- [CM] P.-E. Caprace and N. Monod, Decomposing locally compact groups into simple pieces, Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 150 (2011), 97–128 (published paper).
- [CRW I] P.-E. Caprace, C. Reid and G. Willis, Locally normal subgroups of totally disconnected groups. Part I: General theory (arXiv preprint).
- [CRW II] P.-E. Caprace, C. Reid and G. Willis, Locally normal subgroups of totally disconnected groups. Part II: Compactly generated simple groups (arXiv preprint).
- [Tao] T. Tao, Hilbert's fifth problem and related topics (in preparation).